Front-end Developers - Design systems and React
Sparks have some substantial new project work coming in for 2022 and are looking to grow our team. We have opportunities for Front-end Developers in both our Wellington and Auckland studios.
Our immediate need is for an experienced, specialist dev who is ready to take a leading role in delivering accessible, scalable and robust user interfaces and experiences.
These will be primarily for our public sector clients in Wellington, including highly visible and heavily trafficked sites that provide important services for New Zealanders and international audiences. This will also cover Sparks’ contribution to and work with government design systems and Sparks’ Sector Drupal distribution (https://www.sector.nz/).
We're also looking to increase our capability with decoupled CMS projects, building on our work with Gatsby and React. Again, this is typically high-profile, high traffic work such as the iconic Bird of the Year (https://www.birdoftheyear.org.nz/) site and voting system.
What you can expect from the role:
- Challenging work architecting, developing and evolving design systems
- The opportunity to contribute across disciplines, as we’ll value your input in user experience, design, content architecture and overall site vision and performance
- Enthusiastic support and respect from a stable, high-performing team
Nuts and bolts type stuff we’re interested in:
- Experience with large-scale CSS architecture
- Practical insight into the fundamental principles of design and typography
- Rock solid foundation in HTML/CSS with the ability to maintain high standards under pressure
We build our sites almost exclusively with Drupal, so some familiarity with Twig and Drupal site-building would be a great place to start but we do offer great support and training within the team environment.
In our experience what makes a great fit for both the business and the people who work here is:
- The desire to learn, and share that learning with the team
- An ability to listen, communicate openly and honestly, and translate that into action
- Confidence in working independently, with a willingness to work well with others
Sparks has been around a long time, but we’re pretty low key and we don’t hire often. We’ll respect your time and your life alongside work. Sparks has flexible work practices, meaning we support choices around where and when work gets done. This particular role’s potential for leadership and direction however would benefit from majority time spent working in the studio with clients and colleagues. Happy to talk.
Laundry list of boxes to tick:
- Knowledge of design software (Figma ideally)
- Comfortable working with vectors and SVG
- Understanding of browser, platform, device, performance, and accessibility benchmarks
- Experience with browser development tools (such as Chrome or Firefox DevTools)
But the reality is if this gig is for you, and Sparks appeals as the place you can come along and create career-defining work for some important clients, then get in touch!
Benefits/pay and remote work options
Sparks are currently reviewing salary and remote work options to reflect current conditions and practices for 2022. While we have operated with remote/flexible workforce options since 2010, this opportunity is one where office hours are desirable for team collaboration. We are happy to discuss!
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and portfolio links. And/or just send through any questions you may have.
Sparks celebrates diversity and believes that equal opportunity is an active choice that we are happy to make.